Date: Tue, 18 Feb 1997 21:03:56 -0500 (EST)
From: Ryan Dibble <[log in to unmask]>
To: Marcy Bauman <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Netscape Crash Ad Plugin (fwd)

 NETSCAPE RELEASES "CRASH-ADS" PLUGIN

San Silicon, CA /DenounceNewswire/
-- Feb 18, 1997 --

        Netscape Communications Corporation (NASDAQ: NSCP) today announced
the immediate availability of "Crash-Ads", a new Netscape Navigator plugin.

"Crash-Ads is a great new benefit not only to users but to advertisers too,"
said Yahrait Fersher, spokesdroid for Netscape.

Crash-Ads offers advertisers a new way to reach millions of Internet users.
"When the Navigator application crashes," said Mr. Fersher, "you see a
specially-selected advertising banner in addition to the standard Windows
operating system error message. The ad banner is chosen based on past
history of application use on your PC, plus a careful analysis, by a staff
of Netscape experts, of what you've typed in any text editor over the last
six months."

After a careful scientific study, researchers at Netscape discovered that
most Windows-based Internet users are unable to use their PC approximately
18 minutes per day due to Netscape Navigator crashes and lockups.
"This represents a brash, new opportunity for us and our advertising
partners to reach out to users when nobody else can. How could they? Their
system is hosed."

A major feature of Version 1.0 of "Crash-Ads" allows advertisers to specify
to Netscape when they'd like users' systems to crash. "With advanced
technology we have been able to narrow the crash delivery target coordinates
to within 73 nanoseconds," said Fersher. "And not only that, for an
additional fee, advertisers can specify whole demographic blocks of users,
even whole cities of users, at a time, for crashing. There's never been a
better opportunity to reach out to the frustrated Internet user."

Version 1.0 of "Crash-Ads" is available for downloading effective
immediately. Version 1.1, available in 2 web-years (20 days), will enable
advertisers to not only specify when they wish to disable a user's PC, but
also whether they wish to temporarily disable the user as well. "In this
way, an advertiser is absolutely guaranteed that the user will be staring at
the screen when their ad shows. We call this 'guaranteed eyeballs,'" said
Fersher.

A Macintosh version is slated for release later this year. "We'd have it out
sooner," says Fersher, "but our Mac version crashes even more than Windows,
so it's been slow going."

   -*-*-*-

Netscape shares rose 520 points after the announcement, to a record 1032 1/4.
Microsoft stock plummeted to a new low of 4075 33/64.

:
:
:____________________________________________________________________
:
:  To subscribe to this list, send e-mail to:  [log in to unmask]
:  with the following command in the  body  of your email message:
:            subscribe computer-jokes
:
: If you want to unsubscribe, send e-mail to:  [log in to unmask]
: with the following command in the  body  of your email message:
:            unsubscribe computer-jokes [<[log in to unmask]>]
:
:  Subscribing/unsubscribing and archives are now available also
:  on the World Wide Web at:        http://www.why-not.com/jokes