Stripping defeated opponents of their arms is a tradition as old as Homer;
but adopting and wearing the devices of the conquered is not so well
attested.  A partial analogy, perhaps, is that of the Black Prince's
adoption of the badge of the Three Feathers after (I _think_) the Battle
of Poitiers, in which he had (as I remember) overthrown or at least
vanquished King John of Bohemia, who used that badge.  Kings sometimes
_augmented_ the arms of commanders and champions with devices drawn from
the arms of their vanquished adversaries.  The example that occurs to me
is the Howards of Norfolk, who (I seem to recall) got to add a small
shield of Scotland to their arms after Flodden.

W.G. COOKE