I don't know if you want to addres visual anachronisms exclusively, but
there are several cases of contemporaneous "material" becoming part of
illusionistic performance.  Henry Irving had incidental music composed
that was "a combination of rhythmic pantomime and suggestive hummings"--so
one could argue that the music might be "at odds" with the setting.  Max
Reinhardt's Symbolist leanings made more of the emotion of the spectacle
even though they were highly illusionistic.  In my morning ramblings, I
can't think of anyone that specifically employed one simple anachronism
designed to somehow embody a profound statement before Peter Brook.  But
that is Brook's MO.  He has over they years often found one simple visual
trope to embody his theme.  I guess what I'm saying is that there has been
a certain anachronistic tendency in any era.  (Look at filmed costume
dramas of the '30s and then look at one of the '80s or '90s and notice how
different the same era, both of which are historically "accurate," will
look in terms of hair, costume, etc.)  The major difference now is the
conscious employment of anachronism as a trope in itself--the [and I don't
really like this phrase] Postmodern condition dictates that we mix visual
tropes--the reasons for this we can certainly debate (though I don't think
this is the forum).  All right.  Enough.

Terry D. Smith
School of Drama, DX-20 University of Washington Seattle, WA 98195