Hello, my name is Cary. I just joined the list, and I'd like to thank you
all for your inspiring and informative e-mail.

My parents live in New Hampshire. My father was diagnosed with Parkinson's
over ten years ago, a little while after he retired. His "brand" of
Parkinson's affects his movement and his mind. My mother cared for him as
long as she could. When she decided to move him into the assisted living
wing of a nursing home about 2 years ago, I moved back to New Hampshire from
San Francisco with my lover so that I could spend more time with my father
and the rest of my family. I live in the same town as my brother and sister,
about an hour away from the city my parents live in. I see my parents about
once a week.

My father, like most with Parkinsons, has his good hours and his bad hours.
Even before he had Parkinsons it was difficult for him to express his
feelings. The disease is hard on everyone, but it's the hardest on him. I
wish he could tell us how he feels, but he can't or won't.

We are a close family and usually get along well. Yet the strain of the
years with Parkinsons take their toll. The decision to put my father in a
nursing home was a difficult one for my mother, but at home alone with my
father she was becoming desperate and often abusive. We kids weren't happy
with the decision, but we have come to realize that she wasn't able to take
care of him herself any more. Most of my parents' friends disapprove of my
mother putting my father in a nursing home - yet they rarely if ever visit
him. After all of their harsh judgements, there is no one who has done more
for him or who spends more time with him than her - except, of course, for
the nursing home staff. There is anger and resentment, guilt and anguish in
all of us, along with love and tenderness.

At this point my father can get out with a walker, and he should have a
wheelchair nearby in case of freezing. He really needs full-time nursing
care. My parents are thinking of planning a trip to Europe for a few days.
There are thousands of details to arrange. Does anyone have any experience
making travel arrangements for tourists with special needs?

Thanks for any advice.