Ivan Suzman  47/10  Portland, Maine...land of lighthouses/le pays des
phares...

On Tue, 4 Feb 1997 20:43:07 -0500 Bob & Joy Graham
<[log in to unmask]> writes:
>Philip,
>In my "lay" opinion, I understand Parkinson's Syndrome is used very
>loosely
>when a diagnosis is uncertain, when it could be something like PD but
>of
>the "Parkinson's Plus" variety. Often it is the GP who gives the
>"syndrome"
>tag when he/she doesn't want to scare the person

Hi Joy,

I get frustrated by doctors who call Parkinson's a "Syndrome."  The
different
names create confusion.  We can demystify this confusion through
agreement on terminology and language.

The language used by us is  living, changing, and, organic .  For
example, the term, "PWP" has caught on more and more. I first tried it
out in 1991, to emphasize that we are People With Parkinson's, who have
lives beyond PD.  We have dogs and cats, families, dreams and stories to
tell.   We may be gay men or lesbians, we may be homeless persons, we may
be single mothers, or survivors of a holocaust.  We may be AIDS
researchers, neo-impressionist painters,  fine cabinetmakers, organic
gardeners, quiche bakers,or evangelists.  We strive to have a much
broader life than being defined ONLY as "victims" of a "tragic" disease.

I feel that it  is VERY helpful,  among those of us who are willing,  to
try to  create a uniform, global terminology applicable to Parkinson's.
We must also be educators meanwhile, and explain the meaning of the terms
we use.

Here is a list of several of the sometimes interchangeable terms we use
to describe our condition:

Parkinson's Disease
Parkinson's Syndrome
Parkinson's
Dopamine Deficiency Disorders
Idiopathic Parkinson's Syndrome
Parkinson's-like Condition
Parkinsonism
Shaking Palsy
Paralysis Agitans
Dopamine-related Dystonia

Isn't it amazing that ALL of these  terms are used interchangeably at
certain times??

I personally tend to say, I have " Parkinson's DIsease," because these
words are powerful and  familiar ones.  I acknowledge that "Disease"
feels a bit scarier than "Syndrome."  I feel, however, that there is an
advantage in using the word "disease."

I get the feeling that the word "disease" seems to make people realize
that we are afflicted by a serious and life-threatening condition. When I
use the "PD" term, I always explain that it is a disorder of movement due
to a deficiency in our bodies' supply of  dopamine, and that although it
is frightening, that fear will be overcome if we work together towards
understanding its chemistry and genetics.

I feel cheated if a doctor tries to minimize the impact of Parkinson's by
calling it a  "Syndrome."  I feel that this understates the HUGE impact
on PWP's and our caregivers that PD causes.  There seems to be
recognition that we need help
when we say we have a "Disease," but to say we have a "Syndrome" feels
like some form of avoidance and denial, and perhaps undermines the
seriousness of what all of us are up against.

Once we are empowered with knowledge, the pathway to a cure becomes
shorter.

Ivan Suzman, 47/10, Portland, Maine ( land of lighthouses)  19 deg.
BRRRR!