Barb - Cogentin is an anticholinergic, and often seems to be prescribed
interchangeably with Artane.  However, it's known for affecting short-term
memory.  I believe it's primarily used these days (since the advent of
Sinemet) to control tremor caused by heavy-duty drugs like Thorazine.  It's a
tricky situation, as always in PD, to balance the effect you're trying to
achieve with the nasty side effects.   Our son, who works with mentally
impaired clients, has seen the results of Artane and Cogentin prescribed
long-term, and he was instrumental in persuading his dad to get off the
Cogentin.

List members:  What other alternatives would you suggest?  Margie Swindler