At 12:42 1/29/97 -0500, Margaret Monty wrote:
>Can anyone help this guy out?  If you can, please respond to his
>email address because he is not a list member.

Matthew McKee

Matthew,

I do not know the answer to all your questions, in fact nobody does, however
I can talk about it a bit. The curent thinking is that the cause of PD is a
genetic predisposition which is triggered  by an some environmental factor
or factors which have not been positively identified. Epideiologic studies
have demonstrated a clear relationship between various agricultural
chemicals and the risk of developing PD.
Recent studies have also discovered a genetic factor ( I do not have the
reference with me just now). It is generally thought that the neurons die by
a process called apoptosis, however I know of one study that seems to
indicate that they do not die but simply stop producing dopamine, for an
unkown reason. Evidently there is lots of room for research. What we don't
know is at least as big as what we do know.

---Milo

Milo V. Anderson, Ph.D.             Knowledge is free at the library;
Box 417                             bring your own contianer.
Angwin, CA 94508

voice 707 965 2508                     ODE TO A METAPHOR
fax   707 965 3148                  Ilustrations are useful,
e-mail [log in to unmask]             Or what's a meta-FOR.