From: Brian Collins <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Seeking Help on PD Symptoms
To: Multiple recipients of list PARKINSN <[log in to unmask]>

This is a re-send, because apparently the mail box was full last time!

On Fri 31 Jan, Stan R. Houston wrote:

> During the past two weeks since my "retirement," my PD seems to have shifted
> into fast forward. Actually, it's runnning at turbo speed. Major changes seem
> to hit me overnight. Two and one-half Sinemet --- which would last me
> approximately four hours --- suddenly dropped to two or two and one-half
> hours. "Off" times are longer and more severe. End-of-med dyskinesia at
> dinner time started about three weeks ago. To me (though my perception may be
> clouded) it's worse every evening. I rented a wheelchair this week because
> the  period between end-of-meds and end-of-ability to walk dropped to
> approximately one hour this week. (I could usually count on two to four.)
> Right hand and arm very stiff and sore now during "off" periods. (Right side
> has always been my problem.) Now, toes on left foot curl under and out (to
> the left). I rarely have an appetite for anything except cheddar-flavored
> Goldfish crackers and ice cream (I have something in common with M. Ali.)
>
> I realize that all of these problems happens to most of us Parkies
> eventually. But, I ask, all at one time? And so suddenly?

> My question to the group: Has anyone experienced anything like this? A horde
> of symptoms suddenly appearing and/or advancing almost overnight? What did
> you do about it? Did you and/or you doctor find a workable solution for
> managing these problems? If not, what has happened in the meantime?
>
> Any information you could provide to me before my Tuesday, February 4,
> appointment in Houston would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks. Stay well and try to laugh at least once a day. It's good for you.
>
> Stan Houston (53/5)
> Cat Spring, Texas 79833

Hello Stan,  I share your concern at the speed of the changes which you have
described.  I have noticed in my own case that some of the changes which have
happened to me have happened with a lurch, rather than a smooth progression,
but the size of my changes were nowhere near as large as yours. I wonder if
these step-like changes tell us anything? I have speculated that it may mean
that we have so few Dopamine-producing cells that we are on first-name terms
with them, and the loss of each one is a major event, but it does not fit the
facts. Another possibility is that quite large losses of cells are happening,
but what could be causing it? Have you reviewed your diet ? What did you mean
in your email when you said  'During the past 2 weeks since my "retirement"?
Have you recently started spending all your time at home, having stopped going
to an office? ( I don't mean to bombard you with questions- I am thinking along
the lines which you would use if you were looking for some sort of allergy,
because who knows what might be relevant?
  The good news is, if you were until recently in the area where you got four
hours out of one tablet, then you were at a very early stage in your symptoms.
You could look at it along the lines that if, as I see by your end of mail tag,
you have had PD for 5 years, maybe you are just catching-up with the average
5-year type of condition. (I'm  not inventing that; the starting point of your
slide reads like a newly-diagnosed PWP.
I hope things stabilise soon for you.

Best of luck,

--