Sue J wrote:

> Hi all, I've been reading the list for quite some time now and while I've not
> generally shared, I have gotten a lot out of your experiences.
>
> I'm a 36 year old single mom of a teenager, living in Seattle for the last 9
> years.  My interest in this list came about awhile back when my dad's
> Parkinson symptoms began to worsen, both physically and mentally.  He was
> diagnosed about...10 years ago?  I think that's correct.
>
> He and my mom live in Orange County, California and I only have phone contact
> and visits every few weeks for long weekend.  I don't always get as much info
> as my mom needs to tell me so I'm prepared for those visits.  And she's having
> her usually time denying, along with Dad, that this isn't something that is
> going to get better.
>
> So, I have learned a lot from all the discussion on meds, stress, lifestyles,
> disability aids, etc. and have been able to deal better with his decline.
>
> I've thought of trying to figure out a way to print out these email messages
> to pass along to my mom but haven't come up with a solution I think she would
> find readable yet.  Any suggestions?  Or any objections?
>
> Thanks again for taking the time to discuss this illness and sharing your
> stories.
>
> Sue Jackson

Sue,

Welcome, I also have a dad with PD who lives in TX and I am in HI, so it
is really long distance.  I find my mother is not very honest about how
things are going there.  She is not well herself and is primary
caregiver to my dad who cannot be left alone and is basically dependent
on her for everything.  He is certainly not mentally competent.  I would
not recommend printing all the messages, just ones that seem to fit your
parents' situation.  You also might try the archives for particular
info. I think all this can be overwhelming to some caregivers.  The
various PD groups have excellent books with basic information she might
need.

Have you considered the Caregivers' listserv also.

Good luck and again welcome.  I wish someone else would address ways to
better know the true conditions when we are away from our parents and do
not hear the truth.

Aloha!
--
Gail B. Post, RN,MS,CSN