Greetings from Texas:

The Oprah Project is ready to launch.

Tomorrow (Thursday, February 13) I will place in the mail our proposal
package to Oprah Winfrey. It will contain:

     *    A two-page proposal letter
     *    A copy of the HOUSTON CHRONICLE from November 1996 with the column
           wrote.
     *    A short overview of PD from a doctor's point-of-view

In the letter, I have included five short paragraphs describing POSSIBLE
guests we could provide for the show. From the emails I received, I picked
five that I thought would spike their interest. IMPORTANT: If you do not see
yourself in these five listings, do not despair. I did not want to overwhelm
them, and I did not want the letter to exceed two pages.

We need as many volunteers as we can find. If the Oprah staff takes our bait
and responds positively, I plan to turn over to them a package that includes
info on EVERYONE who has indicated they want to participate. Oprah's staff
will be the ones to make the final decision on who they want as
panelists/guests.

By the way, I could use some additional names and stories in order to achieve
a well-balanced cross section. I particularly need PWP's who:

     *   Are under age 40
     *   Are over age 60
     *   Have had PD for 20+ years
     *   Are some designation other than White American-American
     *   Have any kind of dramatic story to tell

(NOTE: If you fit any of these descriptions, send me your full name, mailing
address, phone number, email address, age, years you have had PD, current
work status, and a brief summary of your current condition.)

As of today, I have 15 people as possible guests. I urge everyone on the List
to join us in this effort. Please, do not be afraid of the possiblity of
appearing on national television and having people see your hand trembling or
your head shaking. No one will laugh at you or pity you. They will respect
you and ultimately admire you for the way you live your life.

OK, here's the proposal letter I will send to Oprah tomorrow:

           **************************************

February 13, 1997

Ms. Oprah Winfrey, Executive Producer
OPRAH
c/o Harpo Productions
P.O. Box 909715
Chicago, Illinois 60690

Dear Ms. Winfrey:

Millions of Americans face a frightening future. Why? Because
they or someone they love has Parkinson's Disease.

On behalf of the Parkinson's Disease Information Exchange
Network, I am writing to propose that you consider devoting one
hour of "Oprah" to showing America the real face of Parkinson's.

We are the Invisible Minority: teachers, doctors, writers,
lawyers, engineers, librarians, ministers. With an estimated 1.5
million Americans diagnosed, we outnumber the victims of multiple
sclerosis, muscular dystrophy and Lou Gehrig's Disease combined.

Many people misunderstand our plight. They believe Parkinson's
affects only the elderly. But more than 40% of PD patients are
under age 60, and the percentage of newly diagnosed in their
thirties and forties has increased dramatically in recent years.

They see Muhammad Ali solemnly lighting the Olympic flame . . .
or Billy Graham confidently standing behind a pulpit . . . They
view Parkinson's as an "inconvenience," not the life-altering
monster it really is.

Parkinson's strikes both young and old.  It is a crippling alien
that invades our bodies and minds, leading many of us through a
life of pain, depression and decreasing mobility.  In the worst
cases, it beats its victims into submission, leaving them
bedridden, unable to move or talk, and totally dependent on
others. Many of us are forced to take disability retirement as
early as our forties, creating financial hardships and uncertain
futures for our families. The emotional toll on Parkinson's
families is immeasurable.

There is hope, however. No cure, but hope and relief. Surgical
procedures (such as a pallidotomy) can relieve some symptoms late
in the disease's progression. Promising new drugs for day-to-day
PD management have been approved by the FDA. And recent research
developments may provide clues leading to a cure.

For an "Oprah" program devoted to PD, the Parkinson's Disease
Information Exchange Network can offer you guests with stories
such as these:

*    Pioneering Neurosurgeon: This California neurosurgeon has
     performed more than 800 pallidotomies for Parkinson's
     sufferers in the last six years. His successful techniques
     have reduced the operation's length for many patients by as
     much as three to five hours.

*    Manufacturer of Handcrafted Angels: A 58-year-old "retiree"
     from California who recently was forced to close her
     successful business due to her inability to perform the
     physical work required. She believes her company was the
     first to design and produce collectible Black angels.

*    Human Rights Activist: A 47-year-old human rights activist
     from Maine whose family could not accept his fate after he
     was stricken with Parkinson's 10 years ago. Although faced
     with constant pain, poor mobility and the recent loss of his
     home in a fire, he remains a highly active human rights advocate
     at all levels of government.

*    Twenty-Year PD Veteran: A 54-year-old self-employed computer
     operator who elected to have pallidotomy surgery in 1994 after
     fighting PD for nearly 20 years. She recently convinced a major
     software manufacturer to award her a contract to manage its
     internet network from her home.

*    Middle East Expert/Author: A 58-year-old internationally
     known expert in Middle East affairs and director of
     international studies at a major university who has
     continued his demanding work schedule despite the rapid
     progression of Parkinson's. He spent six years writing a
     political biography that was recently published.

An "Oprah" program on Parkinson's would be timely. When Congress
returns from recess in late February, a major push will be made
to pass the Morris K. Udall Parkinson's Research Act, which
increases federal dollars allocated for critical research.

Thank you, Ms. Winfrey, for your time and consideration of our proposal.

If you or any members of your staff have questions, I will be glad to help.
You can contact me at the address listed above or call (409)
992-3402. My email address is: [log in to unmask]

I look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

Stan R. Houston
enclosures

               **********************************

IMPORTANT:
For those of you who wish to write Oprah and add your voice to our efforts,
please feel free to do so. HOWEVER, PLEASE DO NOT MAIL ANY LETTERS BEFORE
MONDAY, FEBRUARY 17. ANY MESSAGES RECEIVED BEFORE OPRAH'S STAFF READS THE
PROPOSAL WILL DILUTE ITS IMPACT.

And please, do not use words such as "demand" in your letters. Be assertive,
informative, brief and polite.

I will post a message as soon as I receive a response from Harpo Productions.

Good luck to us all.

Stan Houston (54/6)
Cat Spring, Texas 78933