(I don't believe this got through the first time, so I am
resending this.)
 My mother is currently in the hospital.  She was diagnosed
 eight years ago with PD.  Her current problems are depression,
 rigidity, slapping, nausea, pain, etc.  Her Parkinson's meds
 don't seem to be helping her much any more.
 She has a new neurologist who offered a startling explanation
 as to why the PD meds seem to doing her little good:
 She has a bad case of essential tremor (which runs in our
 family for at least 4 generations)--but a slight case of
 Parkinsons at most.
 I know have seen some discussion of essential tremor
 earlier on the list.  This doctor may either be a genius
 (in my book) or -----.
 The doctor has taken her off all PD meds including sinemet
 and eldepryl.  It is too early to know where this will lead.
 The meds were stopped two days ago.
 So here are the questions:
 Is the difference between PD and essential tremor easily
 diagnosed?  What are the more obvious differences?
 What is likely to happen if my Mom does have PD and
 stays off the meds?
 What treatements are there for essential tremor and
 how effective are they?  (Yes, I apparently have
 essential tremor.)
 Thanks.
 Bryce Jones