At 13:56 2/8/97 -0500, Julius Margolis wrote:
>The recent series of letters about breathing and P.D. prompts me to repeat a
>message I sent some time ago. There were no reactions at that time.
>
>My wife, Doris (73,4) has been taking oxygen because of a worsening
>congenital pulmonary arteriovenous malformation. This defect has been
>getting worse and next week she will have an intervention to seal it off.
>The consequence of her taking oxygen has been remarkable for her Parkinson
>symptoms. Her insomnia, which has plagued her terribly, has been sharply
>reduced. Her restless legs have almost disappeared. She has been maintaining
>her sinemet regimen and ativan. As part of her insomnia problem she had a
>sleep test and the neurologist reported that her restless legs subsided when
>he increased her oxygen input.
>
>Has anyone been taking oxygen for other conditions and found that it
>affected their parkinson symptoms.
>
>Her pulmonary shunt has meant that a considerable percentage of her blood
>had not been oxygenated. My suspicion is that this increase in "toxicity" in
>her blood would be comparable to the many cases of environmental toxicity
>that others have reported. However her cardiologist and neurologist think
>that her pulmonary vascular problems are totall unrelated to her parkisons.
>I am not convinced.
>Jules

Jules,

I did not respond at the time either, but I did notice your message and
filed it away for future reference.  Maybe I should try oxygen to see if my
symptoms subside. You are obviously a thinker; the world needs more of those.

---Milo
Milo V. Anderson, Ph.D.             Knowledge is free at the library;
Box 417                             bring your own contianer.
Angwin, CA 94508

voice 707 965 2508                     ODE TO A METAPHOR
fax   707 965 3148                  Ilustrations are useful,
e-mail [log in to unmask]             Or what's a meta-FOR.