Diane,
You wrote
> The "bradyphrenia" <you> described seems to be an accurate
> description of my Dad's problems.  He's never had much
> of a tremor, but has had diminishing cognitive and
> attention in the past couple of years.  For example, the
> other day he asked Mom if they could go "downstairs to
> his computer room".  First, he's currently in the
> nursing home (and therefore no computer room), and
> secondly, they moved from their 2-story house to a
> ranch-style (one floor) about a year ago.  Even though
> he lived in the new house forThank you for posting your
> message.  It will be of great relief for my Mom, to know
> that this confusion and all does exist in PD, and that
> Dad's not the only one.  (There is something to be said
> for misery loves company!)

Certainly the confusion does exist in PD,  but it is much less
certain whether it is caused by PD.   From our experience, the PD
medications rather than the disease itself, were responsible.

Margaret was just as confused as your Dad, but she also had
hallucinations and was admitted to hospital.  After her medications
were adjusted VERY gradually, she began to improve and was allowed
to return home.   The improvement  has continued, and Margaret is
once again  the intellectually lively vital lady I married all those
years ago. ( Unfortunately PD makes the adjective 'intellectually'
necessary)  So long as my health remains adequate though,  any
thoughts of institutionalization have receded well into the
background for both of us.

I think the moral of this story is that it is all too easy for some
medicos who don't know as much about Parkinson's as they
should, to blame the disease for confusion caused by other things.
PD medicines are a prime factor here,  but it could be an
intereaction with other medicines being administered by the Nursing
home. Even the ambience of the nursing-home itself, can cause
psychological problems in the elderly that have nothing to do with
PD.

Take Care.
Mark.

(CG for Margaret, 65/27 yrs)
~~~~~~~~~
Trains stop at train stations, busses at bus stations.
On my desk I have a Workstation...
Mark Atyeo  Tele (06) 286 2606