Debbie,
        In responce to your question about when Sinemet begins,  my Doctor (at
the Methodist Hos. in Minneapolis) started me right away, even though my
simptoms are/were light.  I had, however, been experiencing symptoms for
7 years.  Also, in a recent exchange with a fellow PDer from England, he
said that it is their practice to wait as long as possible before
starting medication.  So, it seems to depend on the local practice.  I
also feel, 3 years into this diagnosis and 10 into the disorder, you and
your mom should learn as much as possible, like you are doing, in order
to help the expert make the expert decision.
Paul Mote