FOR: Ida and Bev.

Subject: Diphasic Dyskinesia

Hello everyone.   There is an old comedy routine where a man goes to see his
Doctor and says: " Doctor, when I hold my arm up like this, I get a terrible
pain in my shoulder - what should I do ?" and the doctor says "Stop holding
your arm up like that". I know, its corny but it appeals to my sense of
humour, AND - It carries a message for us. I still don't know for sure how
many people are taking their meds in such a way that they drive them selves
into the Overdrive Region (or the Twilight Zone as I like to think of it),
because everyone has gone very coy about quoting tablets taken and the
times at which they are taken. The point is, If the overdrive route is
taken, there is a guaranteed band of dyskinesia waiting as you descend
to the lower levels again, and as far as I am aware, it is heavy dyskinesia
as well. I do not know if this mechanism is the one which Ida describes,
because until I see the track of how she gets to the dyskinesia zone, it
is impossible to know.

Judging from the stream of learned papers which have been quoted during this
discussion, a lot of good men have tried and failed to explain what is
happening to cause this problem, so a simple Engineer has no chance - and
it is true - I can't follow the detailed chemical reactions that are going
on in there, but I can stand back  and make a few observations :

My philosophy in taking levodopa is to take just as much as is needed to
restore the dopamine levels in the brain to what they were before the
symptoms of PD occurred.  I do NOT agree with stuffing a large quantity
of levodopa into the brain in the morning, and keeping it there all day,
because that is a configuration which does not occur in a normal person.
I have a model in mind where the dopamine flows in nicely regulated
quantities, reaching the places that it was supposed to reach, and not
getting into other areas. As soon as the dopamine level exceeds that well-
regulated level, I imagine it spilling out from its proper channels and
starting to overrun neurons and synapses which were not supposed to be
zapped at that time, and thus initiating movements which were not intended
(i.e. Dysknesias. It also  explains why each person has his own little
collection of dyskinesic movements: The dopamine will have a pretty well-
worn track to follow since it is overflowing on a regular basis, so we
might expect the same symptoms each day.

This brings me back to the corny joke- The best way to avoid these winding
down dyskinesias is not to go up there in the first place. I have been
doing it for 17 years, and the system still works fine. - The only problem
is the chaos caused by those dratted meals - I'll have to stop eating: It's
the only logical thing to do !!
--
Brian Collins  <[log in to unmask]>