>Is the difference between PD and essential tremor easily
>diagnosed?  What are the more obvious differences?

Many references indicate that alcohol consumption can reduce the tremor of
essential tremor (for a short time), but not the tremor of PD (except
allowing for the reduction in stress= less tremor).

Hey, is it worth everyone having a try?

The tremor of PD is typically a resting tremor, but the tremor of essential
tremor is an action tremor.  I think the distinction frequently gets
blurred with the advance of the disease. Also essential tremor involves the
head and the voice (this is rare in PD).

>What is likely to happen if my Mom does have PD and
>stays off the meds?

This won't make the disease advance any faster but her symptoms may seem
worse if she was getting some improvement from the meds.

>What treatements are there for essential tremor and
>how effective are they?

The drug propranolol is commonly used to treat essential tremor.

Note: This drug is used to treat the irregularity of the pulse and to a
lesser extent to control high blood pressure. It may also be used to
protect the heart from the possibility of levodopa causing palpitations  or
episodes of abnormal heart rhythm... must be used with care, not recommened
for those with asthma or heart failure as it may worsen these condtions.

metoprolol (Lopressor) is closely related to propanolol , used ,mostly for
high BP , is not as effective as propanolol against tremor, but has less
risk of worsening asthma.
Source:  Parkinson's Disease: A Guide for Patient and Family, (Second ed.)
Dr Roger Duvoisin, Raven Press 1984