At 18:05 10/02/97 -0500, you wrote:

>What I would be interested to know, as a further corollary, is:
>
>1. Do PWPs have greater tendency towards hypertension (high blood pressure).
> It so happens that I do myself, but is this common for us?
>
>2. Do PWPs have higher risk of strokes?  I hope not!

>Tim Sanderson ([log in to unmask]) London, UK, 42/1

Hello Tim,

As a matter of fact, MY blood pressure is high and just on the border line
of needing some remedial action.  It has been like this for many years. No
medications taken, yet!

As to any connection, it is difficult to say because the average age group
of PWPD is such that a fair amount WOULD be expected to have high blood
pressure.  A comparison of similar age groups with and without PD would be
required.  However, as some PD drugs do actually LOWER blood pressure, this
would muddy the waters.

On the oxygen subject, we could apply a certain amount of logic.  Firstly,
the brain cannot manage more than a few minutes without oxygen before
suffering brain damage.  It also is very susceptible to reduced oxygen in
high altitudes and un-pressurised aircraft. Would it not therefore be
reasonable to assume that brain damage on the lines of PD could occur if the
brain received a reduced supply of oxygen?

By the same reasoning, a small reduction in oxygen availability may reduce
the efficiency of the brain in PWPD, and increase the symptoms, far faster
than in a person without PD.

IF this is the case, PWPD should notice a difference when travelling to high
mountain areas and even in aircraft. (I believe most aircraft are
pressurised to the equivilant of around 6000-6500 ft altitude, but is the
cabin oxygen enriched to make up for it?  I do not think so.)

Ernie. 53/3.2

Ernie Peters <[log in to unmask]>