Aan 13-02-97 19:03, in bericht <[log in to unmask]>,
Den Gen <[log in to unmask]> schreef:

> Hi,
>
> You must have taken the same thing.  My
> husband is convinced that the doctor told him that there was some obscure
> article stating that there was that risk but it took him months to remember
> that he was told that.  Now of course no one seems to remember that and I
> can't find any medical people so far who are willing to say they know
> anything about the connection.

Den.

I too had my thyroid tested some time before being diagnosed Parkinson. This
testing was my own initiative because I did not feel well and the complaints
had some features of thyroid dysfunction. I think that is the reason why you
and another member had such a test. The doctor wanted to check this before he
wanted to think it was Parkinson. However, at the moment you have Parkinson
Symptoms and it can be diagnosed, the disease has been there for years. The
start of the disease can't be perceived. It is well known that at the moment
the symptoms are manifest the disease has already destroyed more than half of
the cels in the "Substantia Nigra". This is even more so in young patients, who
are more able to compensate for the loss than older ones.
Much thinking about causes has been done and many factors have been suspect.
If your Parkinson had become manifest 10 or 15 years after the test and this
had been so in others, the Thyroid test might have got a place among the
suspects.
Knowing this doesn't make it easier for you to start accepting. Much Parkinson
Patients are in want of answers on this question. Maybe it will be possible to
get them in the future.

                                Ida Kamphuis 52 /12
                                            Holland