Barbara, Anne and others,

In one guise or another we keep asking ourselves and
others 'why are we invisible' which is of course a euphemism
for ' why does no-body care about us'.  (These comments
refer to the population at large and not to the wonderful
body of family and friends who do care about us, thank God).

Amoung the many reasons, I have identified these:

The gap between feeling sorry for people with problems, and
doing anything about it.  This applies to the victims of natural
disasters, and diseases and disabilities of all types.   It applies
to people caught in poverty traps, wars, aircraft crashes etc.
etc.  Caught between the need to be Mother Teresa and doing
nothing most people default to doing nothing.  If we are honest
most  PWP also default to the 'do nothing' position with regard
to non-PD issues.  In other words lets not take it personally.

Secondly PD is percieved in the general populace as being some
thing of an 'inconveniece' to the sufferer rather than the preditory,
life altering thing it is.  Most people, should they think of PD, think
in terms of 'someone who shakes a bit'.  There is little perception
of what 'shakes a bit' means in terms of simply getting on with the
stuff of daily living.  There is even less awareness of the existance
of, and problems associated with, rigidity, bradykinesia, dystonia
and dyskinesia.

Paradoxically recent up beat reports on successful surgery have
probably given the false impression that the problem is solved.
The trick is going to be how do we, as a community, get the media
past the headline catching 'miracles' to the reality of our situation.
And how do we communicate the truth without sounding as if we
are whinging which will only turn indifference to rejection.

The answers to these questions are beyond me. But they shouldn't
be beyond the professionals.  Any ex Madison Ave types out there?
If so, over to you.

Dennis

Dennis Greene 47/10