At 01:06 am 08/02/97 -0500, [log in to unmask] wrote:
>I am compiling a file of drugs contraindicated, and other information which
may be necessary to tell the Doctors- pre- and post-op.<

Hello Roberta,
        I am scheduled for surgery in March so I am also compiling a list of
drugs contraindicated.
        I'm expecting a call next week from the anaesthetist to discuss how
long I must be off Eldepryl before the surgery. I have been getting
conflicting information ranging from 48 hours to one month. In an article
written by Susan Calne, RN, Clinical Co-ordinator Neurodegenerative
Disorders Centre UBC, she says, "Some anaesthesiologists are still reluctant
to give anaesthesia to a patient on Deprenyl. There is no medical reason for
this, but you should stop it for a month (the time it takes to wash out)
before surgery if the anaesthesiologist insists."
        I know Demerol cannot be given and have discussed that with my surgeon.

>Is Codine OK?  Morphine?  Other?

Susan Calne says, "Morphine rather than Demerol is the pain killer of choice
if you have PD."

>If any of you feel this will 'clutter' the list

I feel that this kind of information is important and should be shared on
the list, and certainly not considered "clutter."

Judith