Ivan Suzman  47/10  Portland, Maine...land of lighthouses/le pays des
phares...

On Fri, 7 Feb 1997 10:33:08 -0500 will johnston
<[log in to unmask]> writes:

>                          CERTIFICATE of RECOGNITION
>

>By virtue of the authority vested by the Constitution in thhe Governor
>of the
>    Commonwealth of Virginia, there is hereby officially recognized:
>

>                  PARKINSON'S DISEASE AWARENESS MONTH
>

>WHEREAS, Parkinson's Disease is a brain disorder that usually affects
>adults
>over 40,
>although it can appear in younger patients; and
>
>WHEREAS, more individuals suffer from Parkinson's Disease than
>multiple
>sclerosis,
>muscular dystrophy and Lou Gerhig's Disease combined; and
>
>WHEREAS, according to the American Parkinson's Disease Association of
>Virginia, today
>there are over 13,000 Virginians affected by Parkinson's Disease; and
>
>WHEREAS, in 1995, there were over 4,000 individual cases of
>Parkinson's
>Disease reported
>at Virginia hospitals, and there were 270 Parkinson's Disease
>fatalities; and
>
>WHEREAS, the symptoms of Parkinson's Disease -- stiiness, tremor,
>slowness
>and poor
>movement, and difficulty with balance and speaking -- are often
>mistaken as
>a normal
>part of the aging process; and
>
>WHEREAS, although the cause of this disease is unknown, Levodopa and
>other
>antiparkinson
>drugs can effectively control Parkinson's Disease symptoms; and
>
>WHEREAS, increased education and research are expected to help find
>more
>effective
>treatments and ultimately a cure for Parkinson's Disease and will
>provide
>more effective
>support programs and services to Parkinson's Disease patients, their
>caregivers and
>families;
>
>NOW, THEREFORE, I, George Allen, Governor, do hereby proclaim April
>1997 as
>PARKINSON'S DISEASE AWARENESS MONTH in the COMMONWEALTH OF VIRGINIA,
>and I
>call this observance to the attention of all our concerned citizens.
>        G I
>      R     N
>    I        I
>  V           A                   /S/ George Allen
>                                       Governor
>SIC  <SEAL> TYRANNIS
>     SEMPER
>                                 /S/ Betsy Davis Beamer
>                               Secretary of the Commonwealth
>_____
>

>And here's to long "ons" and short "offs"
>
>WILL JOHNSTON   4049 OAKLAND SCHOOL ROAD
>                SALISBURY, MD 21804-2716
>                410-543-0110
>Pres A.P.D.A.  DelMarVa Chapter
 This is WONDERFUL. news for ALL of us in the PWP
community!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Congratulations and thanks from Maine to  the hard-working Virginian
PWP's!!!

I've had a HORRIBLE three days of a knock-out winter flu bug that has
immobilized me.  I have had  muscles clenching non-stop in off- periods
lasting 3 hours and it has really been awful.  Then I turn on the
computer, see  this wonderful Virginia proclamation, and my depression
LIFTED.   So  THANK YOU, Will Johnston and friends!

I am currently working on getting something going-I don't know what
format yet-- in the Maine State Legislature.   I started phoning Augusta
yesterday. The state representative from my residential district called
me today to offer his "100%" sponsorship and support, and told me , of
all things, that HE, TOO, HAS PARKINSON'S  DISEASE, like me.  Incredible
and wonderful coincidence!!  Isn't that a great opportunity for
teamwork??

I will reveal his name  to Listmembers  only if he is agreeable. We hope
to meet for the very first time,  Sunday afternoon.  He has NEVER
revealed his medical condition to the other legislators or to anyone in
the district.

Somehow I feel HONORED that he has shared his painful  secret with me.

Although I am hoping he will go public about being a PWP, I FEEL THAT I
MUST HONOR HIS DECISION  TO REMAIN CLOSETED. AND THAT CONFIDENTIALITY IS
FIRST AND FOREMOST in our relationship..

He did NOT know about the Udall Bill.  He has never been able to go to a
Parkinson's clinic.  (There are none in Maine).

I also  have contacted  Republican U.S. Senators Olympia Snowe and Susan
Collins, and Democratic  U.S.Representatives Thomas Allen and   John
Baldacci, using the free 1-800-962-3524  number to  the Capitol, about
originial cosponsorship of the  Udall Bill.

Meds wearing off-must stop now--GO UDALLers GO!!!!!!

Ivan Suzman 47/10 Portland,Maine  Brrr.  cough-cough-sneeze   12 deg.
icyyyy