Steve, and others,

I know I was not going to write for a while because it hurts too much to type,
but this is a subject I know about.

I am a Social Security Advocate.  You can get an Attorney, however, they will
charge you 1/3 of your retro (the part back to when you first filed) up to
$4,000, because Social Security says he/she can.  If you find an agency like
mine or an advocate such as myself, you will be charged from 5 to 30% of your
retro check up to $4,000.  $4,000 is the max anyone can charge for this service
no matter how large your retro check is.  Both agencies and attorneys are
allowed to charge up to 1/3, however, most advocates do not charge so much.  My
agency asks for a 10% donation to the agency if we get you on.  One other thing
about fees, Social Security will TAKE the attorney's money BEFORE they send you
the retro and send it to the attorney.  An advocate or agency must trust you or
your payee to pay them as they do not get advance payment.

Often, if the advocate is good (I am) they can be just as good or better than an
attorney.

The process is simple.  Call the SSA 800 #   1-800-772-1213, ask for an
appointment at your nearest Social Security (SSA) office or a telephone
apointment.  If you choose the telephone, be at your phone when they say they
will call, they are seldom late and often early.  Between the time you make the
appointment and the call/visit you will be sent forms to fill out.  They will
ask you what is your condition that makes it impossible for you to work?  They
want to know the names of your conditions.  Later on the form they will ask
again about why you cannot work?   The second time they want the symptoms.
These two are important.

Get your documentation together.  Yes, Steve, you need to see their doctor.
They are not forced to use your doctor's records, however, if you have copies of
your doctor's records and send them with the paperwork when they tell you to
send the paperwork in, then they will us them.   Doctor's records must be
CURRENT.  They will not use records that are more than 12 months old.  Also, be
prepared to be turned down the first time.  Most people are.  As soon as you
have a denial paper in your hand, write for an appeal.  You do not need a
special form.  After your letter reaches them they will send you more forms.

If you are going to use an attorney or advocate, get them at the very beginning.
 You are more likely to get on with the first try and no appeal.

Now that I have typed all of this, I will go take a Vicodine.  I am off all meds
except pain meds.  I had a reaction between the pain med and the Elepryl.
Fun--NOT!

So I must see the orthopedic  doctor next week, and as soon as the damaged nerve
in my left hand is fixed, I can go start taking my PD meds for my right side
again.

Fun--NOT!

don't forget how to laugh, I still know

Marling McReynolds