Laura,

Welcome to ther list.  I am a psychiatrist with PD so I may be able to
shed some light on your issue.

I am not aware of any data to support the statement that depression
leads to PD.  There is  a lot written about PWP (people with PD) being
more subect to depression.  There are a large number of PWP who take
antidepressants successfully including me. That is usually appropriate
and useful.

The question about alzheimers (SDAT)(senile dementia Alzheimers Type) is
more complex.  The diagnosis of SDAT like PD is generally a clinical
diagnosis (or postmortum). That is imaging and lab tests- at least those
that are well-studied and generally accepted may be altered but they are
not diagnostic of the disease.  PD unfortunately can lead to a Dementia
that is clinically indistinguishable feom SDAT so if your father has a
true dementia the differentiation is academic.  But if he has drug
toxicity from one (or a combination) of his meds, a psychosis secondary
to meds or the PD), or a pseudodementia related to incomplete treatment
of his depression there is hope that the process is reversible. A good
psychiatrist who has some familiarity with PD should be able to help
sort that out.

Also, when the neurologist said (via dad's wife) that your father had
all the genetic markers was that through dna testing (usually done only
in the most sophisticated research centers) or via other means.  The
markers as a test are not firmly established.  Also PD does not usually
run in families- except in rare cases or if it does its expression in
the offspring is so incomplete that it is nothing to worry about for you
over the long run.  If you run any increased risk of contracting PD at
all that risk is very small.

I hope I answered your questions.

Charlie
--