Date: Tue, 11 Feb 1997 10:55:45 -0800
From: Marie M Fox <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: To introduce ourselves!

My husband was diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease in 1987.  The
diagnosis was recently changed to Shy Drager, characterized by
orthostatic hypotension, bowel and bladder dysfunction, slowness of
movement, but only very slight tremor.  He currently takes Sinemet,
Amantadine, Florinef and Sinemet CR.  He used to take Eldepryl but that
was discontinued because it affected his blood pressure adversely and
was not compatible with some of the anesthetics he had for surgery to
repair broken bones and a prosthesis.  He does not respond very well to
the Sinemet, so Amantadine was added to make movement easier.

He has fallen numerous times, breaking bones in the process: ribs, hip,
femur, hand.  The prosthesis was a knee because of arthritis.

The bladder and bowel dysfunction have become very pronounced.  He is
currently recovering from the broken femur and must be catheterized and
have laxatives and enemas to keep these systems operating.  The
catheterization is worrisome, because it could introduce infection into
the knee replacement area.

I am certainly glad for this forum, because I am constantly having to
educate the doctors who are treating him - many of whom have never heard
of shy drager or multiple systems atropy.  Currently, he is being
treated by a urologist while he is in rehab and I had to tell him that
Bill could not have Hytrin, because past experience with that drug sent
his blood pressure plummeting.

Thanks so much for adding me to this forum.

Marie Fox