Let me introduce myself.....I am Carole Price and have been receiving =
mail from this list about 1 1/2 months.  I have picked up all kinds of =
info, but don't understand all that I know.  I am a caregiver for my Mom =
who lives with my family.  She will be 75 this March and was diagnosed =
with Parkinson's 1 year ago, although looking back, she has had some of =
the same symptoms at least 6 years.

My real question(s) is, does it sound like she has Parkinson's or PD+ =
(that I am not sure what that really is), or some other neurological =
disorder.  To complicate things, she has numerous other health problems =
that I am not sure if they are symptoms, or just other problems.

She had a 2nd hip replacement surgery in Oct '95 and a neurologist was =
called in due to her rigidity after the surgery and her lack of ability =
to feed herself 3 days later.  She immediately suspected Parkinson's, =
but deferred diagnosis till a few months post op to allow her time to =
recover.

Here are her symptoms:
        rigidity
        balance difficulty
        overall lack of muscle strength
        shuffling
        (no visible tremors)
        some difficulty swallowing pills
        hypothyroid (diagnosed about 2 months ago)
        anemic (has battled this off and on thru life)
        arterial & vein disease (particularly swelling of lower legs & feet)
        wound healing is very slow (anywhere, not just legs)
        vision difficulties (not detected in regular vision exam) - is =
complaining again of blurring & at night says 1
                street light looks about like 16
        incontinence
        frequent bladder infections (which of course magnify incontinence =
problems)
        ulcerative colitis
        sleeplessness (think this is medication related)
        slow comprehension / disorientation (may be medication related; may =
not)
        can't stay focused on tasks such as getting ready for bed
        some minimal hallucinations (think this is medication related)
        can't gain back weight lost with ulcerative colitis (eats like a horse =
day & night because still on steroids)
=09

She has been on medications (Sinemet & Parlodel) for some time now, and =
the only real difference I see is less falling.  Nothing else has =
improved.

Her medications are:
Centrum Silver vitamins (1 per day)
Bayer Children's Aspirin (1 per day)
Sinemet (.5 1/2 per day; 25/100; Parkinson's)
                8 am - 1 1/2 ; 12 pm - 1 1/2; 4 pm - 1 1/2; 8 pm - 1
Parlodel (6 per day; 2.5MG; Parkinson's)
                8 am - 2; 12 pm - 2; 4 pm - 2
Trental (3 per day; 400 MG; circulation)
Premarin (1 per day; 0.625 MG)
Dyazide (1 per day; 37.5 - 25; swelling & blood pressure)
Synthroid (1 per day; 50 mcg; hypothyroid)
                just adjusted dosage of this medicine 12/21/96
Prednisone (3 per day (reducing every 2 weeks by 2.5 mg); 5 mg each (15 =
mg total currently); irritated
colon;)=20
Asacol (2 per meal - 6 per day;400 MG; ulcerative colitis)

Thank you for your concern and wisdom,

Carole  ([log in to unmask])
                CG for Louise 74/diag 1/symptons 6

        =09