Hi Carole
I see that your mother takes Premarin without the Provera and I wonder why.
I thought the two went together - please comment.  Fleurette

t 12:01 PM 2/17/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Let me introduce myself.....I am Carole Price and have been receiving mail
from this list about 1 1/2 months.  I have picked up all kinds of info, but
don't understand all that I know.  I am a caregiver for my Mom who lives
with my family.  She will be 75 this March and was diagnosed with
Parkinson's 1 year ago, although looking back, she has had some of the same
symptoms at least 6 years.

>My real question(s) is, does it sound like she has Parkinson's or PD+ (that
I am not sure what that really is), or some other neurological disorder.  To
complicate things, she has numerous other health problems that I am not sure
if they are symptoms, or just other problems.

>She had a 2nd hip replacement surgery in Oct '95 and a neurologist was
called in due to her rigidity after the surgery and her lack of ability to
feed herself 3 days later.  She immediately suspected Parkinson's, but
deferred diagnosis till a few months post op to allow her time to recover.

>Here are her symptoms:
>        rigidity
>        balance difficulty
>        overall lack of muscle strength
>        shuffling
>        (no visible tremors)
>        some difficulty swallowing pills
>        hypothyroid (diagnosed about 2 months ago)
>        anemic (has battled this off and on thru life)
>        arterial & vein disease (particularly swelling of lower legs & feet)
>        wound healing is very slow (anywhere, not just legs)
>        vision difficulties (not detected in regular vision exam) - is
complaining again of blurring & at night says 1
>                street light looks about like 16
>        incontinence
>        frequent bladder infections (which of course magnify incontinence
problems)
>        ulcerative colitis
>        sleeplessness (think this is medication related)
>        slow comprehension / disorientation (may be medication related; may
not)
>        can't stay focused on tasks such as getting ready for bed
>        some minimal hallucinations (think this is medication related)
>        can't gain back weight lost with ulcerative colitis (eats like a
horse day & night because still on steroids)

>She has been on medications (Sinemet & Parlodel) for some time now, and the
only real difference I see is less falling.  Nothing else has improved.