On Tue 18 Feb, Donovan White wrote:
> I hope it doesn't seem as though I'm asking the same questions over again.
> My mother (67 years, diagnosed less than 2 weeks ago) is on Sinemet 25/100
> 3X/day. Her symptoms are:
>
> off balance
> inability to use left hand
> slowness
> slow speech
> some drooling
>
> When I ask her if the Sinemet is helping she says that it helps a little
> bit with the balance. Her speak sounds the same to me (this is over the
> phone) -- no difference. She still cannot use the hand and it takes a long
> time to do things.
>
> What I'm wondering is this:
>
> Should she expect more from the medication?? I know I already asked this
> (and received a few insightful responses), but I guess I'm wondering if the
> failure of this dosage to produce a more dramatic difference indicates (i)
> that the dosage could/should be higher (ii) that she should be on another
> (or should add another) type of drug, or (iii) that Sinemet is not the best
> drug for her symptoms.
>
> This leads me to my next question. What is the basis for prescribing one
> drug type over another? Does it have to do with the severity of the
> disease? The type of symptoms? The doctor's preference?
>
> Finally (at least for now), has anyone heard of Dr. Stuart Isaacson or Dr.
> Yahr at Mt. Sinair in New York. A good friend of my mother recommeded
> Isaacson and I was just wondering if anyone out here has gone to him.
>
> Thanks for all your help. I'm trying to prepare us as much as possible for
> a consultation within the next few weeks.
>
> Debbie White

 Hello Debbie,  I learned a new trick today, so I will try it out on you: How
 does your mother take her tablets? Does she take them with food? That is,
 just before or just after a meal, or even during a meal? If any of those
 answers are Yes then you have a simple fix : Tell your mom to take her tablet
 at least 20 to 30 minutes BEFORE she starts her meal.  This give the tablet a
 chance to get going, and IF I am correct, should solve all her problems.

 I will go into the other aspects of your mail later if you wish, but try the
 food trick first, just in case it is that simple.
--
Brian Collins  <[log in to unmask]>