Katherine,

No solutions, just commiseration.  I suffer from anxiety and
sleeplessness also.  It's not an unusual side effect from the disease and
its medications.  I've tried a few sleeping preparations without much
success - they usually hit me during the day and I'm "hung over" and feel
worse.

I deal with it by listening to relaxation tapes and practicing deep
breathing.  If I'm still awake after this, I read a good book (I always
keep one handy) and play games on the computer.  This engages my mind and
diverts it from anxious thoughts.  I reassure myself that although this
is scary, it's not really dangerous or life threatening.  I'm just trying
to live with it.

Good luck with your mom.  Mine also suffers from anxiety and has become
hooked on ativans.  She needs an ever increasing dose to deal with the
problem.  I'd rather not go that route.

Pat Schark

  pine`