Judy Ehler wrote:
Judy,

Since I live a long way from TX where my dad with PD lives, I am not an
expert as many here are, but I can tell you our experiences.  My dad
hallucinated severely and was extremely confused.  The doctor started
him on Clozaril and it helped tremendously.  Now when he does
occasionally hallucinate, he can laugh and say it is his PD meds doing
it.  Before he got very agitated.  There are newer meds like Clozaril
which do not require the weekly blood tests, but my mom is afraid she
would lose home health if they did not do blood work.  Outside the US
the blood testing is less frequent and I believe is going that way here
too.

I personally would recommend trying that and not reducing PD meds.  That
is counterproductive and incapacitates the person extremely.  I believe
that some people avoid the meds like Clozaril because they are used for
schizophrenia.  PD dementia and side effects of meds are very similar to
schizophrenia, but are not really schizophrenia.  Talk with your dad's
doctor since this is not necessary to cope with - there is help.

Aloha, Gail
--
Gail B. Post, RN,MS,CSN
Maryknoll Schools