I was granted LTD by my employer in Aug 1994, with the first 6 months
considered STL for which I was paid my regular salary. I started Soc Sec
application process in Dec 94 to start in Feb 85. I was able to do the
whole process thru mail and phone. In CT, SSA subcontracts the
Disability determination process to the State, and they told me that I
had to meet with one of their doctors, which I did.  He was not a
neurologist, and from the looks of his offices(no patient files) his
practice seemed to be insurance and disability reviews. Several weeks
later I received notice from SSA that I had been turned down for
Disability. Then the SWAT team took over. Because the LTD insurance from
my employer used any SSI/SSA as copayments, it was in their interest
that I get these payments, so they paid the cost of an advocacy firm
which in very quick order got the appeal in and this time I was judged
to be fully disabled. The benefits were retroactive back to my original
eligibility date Feb, 1995.  My first SSI payments arrived @ Sept 1995.

A couple of things to note, the woman who handled my appeal from the SS
Advocacy firm was tremendous, have no idea what she charged but if
reasonable may be well worth effort, esp if in an appeal where the
process gets more complex.

And my big error in the original application was going to see the State
Doctor.  As long as you have your own Doctor's statements, you are under
no obligation to see one chosen by the SSA or its designates. In fact my
Advocacy consultant, said that the key reason why I was turned down the
first time, was in fact the report by this State Doctor that I was not
disabled.

But if you do end up seeing another Doctor, don't do what I did which
was to take alot of meds for the drive, and be very on when I saw the
State Doctor.  Have someone drive you, or take a cab, but showup in your
worst off!!

       Steve Holahan  50/15