George:

I found your posting about walking backwards very interesting and motivating.
 I will be sure to share it with my mom, a PDer for about 12 years.  If you
don't mind me asking, did you have either or both of your PALs at MGH in
Boston?  I ask because that is where my mom had hers done last August.  The
improvement was wonderul for the first three months, but unfortunately, the
positive effects have worn off and she only shows small signs of improvement
(mostly when very well rested).  She is now faced with the decision of either
having the same side done again (as recommended by one of the MGH staff
doctors) or having the second side done (as recommended by another MGH staff
doctor).  We have all heard so many negative things about having the second
side done, especially related to speech and memory, but I was curious as to
how well you faired.  You certainly sound like you benefited greatly, but I
sure would appreciate a little more detail.  This indecisiveness of MGH
doctors has my mom considering doing nothing and just holding out for as long
as possible for other advancements to come down the road.

Have you (or anyone else reading this) ever heard of anyone having the same
side done a second time?  Apparently, the reason for the decrease in the
positive effects is due to a healing of the area around the lesion made to
the brain.  In doing the same side a second time, the doctors know exactly
where to go, as it is already bookmarked for them, and they just make the
lesion a little bit larger.

Any info. you could share would be greatly appreciated.

CPROCH (Craig)