        DEAR LENA,
  Let me say at the very beginning that I think your mom is a cheat
and..WATCH IT! HERE SHE COMES AGAIN. WEEEEEEEEEEEE! and should lose her
license to drive her wheelchair until she has passed both the
WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!! GOSH, THAT WAS CLOSE!! the written and the
on-the-road..er on-the-hallway test, She should be ashamed of herself for
using a wheelchair in a walking program; yes you said a walking program.
IT"S TOO QUIET OUT THERE. SHE UP TO NO GOOD. WATCH IT!! THERE ARE TWO OF
THEM THIS TIME  Wheelie #1..WEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!  wheelie #2  yipeeeeeeeeeeeee!
See what I mean Lena, she is terrorizing the other residents. Well, Gerrge.
THATS GEORGE!!  ok, g e o r g e, I just wanted to say that mom is having
such a wonderful time.......DOWN THE HALL, IN THE DARKENED DAY ROOM, OUT OF
SIGHT OF THE STAFF, LENA AND GEORGE; A PLAN IS BEING DEVELOPED. LENA'S MOM
APPEARS TO BE THE RING- LEADER AND SHE IS DEPLOYING THE 25-30 WHEELIES TO
THEIR ASSIGNED BATTLE STATIONS WITH THE PRIME SITES TO BE SECURED BEING THE
KITCHEN AND THE NURSES STATION [NO PROBLEM THERE...NEVER ANY ONE IN THERE
ANYWAY]

       Co-incidence? I don't think so. It seems to me that nursing homes
are failing in their jobs
and until they receive a passing grade from residents revolts like the one
detailed above will continue to rock the nursing home industry.

      Meaningful? Certainly in severals ways. First elderly people are
often regressive[Or said another way, BACKWARDS] in ther behaviors.There is
comfort in being regressed. Regression is simplely defined as a stepping
backwards in time to a more satisfying, less anxious place which to most of
us would be at the PRECONCEPTION stage of development! In other word the
"gleam in your father-to-be's eyes"
      Second, the concept of BACKWARD serves as a metaphor for the average
nursing home.
      Third, it is fun to do something differently then the others around
you. Most nursing home  residents haven't been successful at much of
anything; least of all something different.
      Fourth I do believe when we do something differently, the Central
Nervous System responds with an excitement it hasn't known for many
moons.Too many people misunderstand this feeling as one of anxiety rather
then of excitement. The CNS has shut down. It no longer recoginizes
positive feelings. The cure.......repeated jolts of new experiences that
will help the brain restore itself within a feeling,loving, fun person, who
is also able to express feeling of sadness and anger when required
     Fifth... i think you get my point.
    How do I know these things to be true? well I am a well
trained,experienced clinical social worker and my mom spent the last two
years of her life in what was regarded as a quality nursing home but as
many of you know it surely lacked something.........
   Lena, thanks for your kind words and thank for coming out and playing
with me [Regression in the service of the ego is cool].

   My best to most of you [OPS]
         george           2/20/97    3:38pm Bright and sunny, temp.41 F.
Time to walk BACKWARDS

AMAZING GRACE

Amazing grace, how sweet the sound
That saved a wretch like me