Yourfirstname Yourlastname wrote:

> Does B6 interfere with Sinemet?  I read in Good Nutrition in Parkinson's
> Disease put out by the APDA that, "B6 does not worsen PD if used in the
> recommended amount of 2 mg. per day.  If supplemental vitamins are used,
> intake should not exceed 5 mg.  B6-free multivitamins are only needed if a
> person is taking levadopa rather than Sinemet." (p.14)  Has anyone heard the
> contrary?  Thank you for any response!

Michelle,
I believe this is correct. Originally, only levodopa was available. B6
lessened the drug's effect, and it was recommended to take only the RDA
of 2 mg/daily. The combination of levodopa/carbidopa in Sinemet is much
better. Carbidopa prevents the negative B6 effect. However, I doubt that
megadoses of B6 would be advisable. 5 mg daily should be fine.

Best regards,
Kathrynne

--
Kathrynne Holden, MS, RD