Hi,

This is beginning to remind me of when I decided PD symptoms
were made worse by drinking diet coke. I based my theory on the
fact (and it was a fact) that my lunchtime meds never seemed to
work and I took them with diet coke. Subsequent experiments
proved that I could get my lunchtime meds to work simply by taking
them 20-30 mins prior to food (I stress, Diet Coke was not a factor.
[down Atlanta!]). My point being that theories need to be examined.

You wrote:

> 2 replies I had from 2 pd sufferers were that they indeed did have thyroid
> problems--hypothyroid.

My apologies for my earlier statement. However, the above only tells us
that
these two PWP are also PWHypothyroid problems. It establishes no link
between the test and the subsequent on set of PD.

> Many have not had any thyroid problems however and
> did not have any tremor either or indication of pd symptoms at all.

I assume this means that all of these people were being tested for
hyperthyroid
problems.  Because if they were being tested for hypothyroid problems they
would have been experiencing a slowing down. This, as I'm sure you know,
is very much a PD symptom.  PWP do not live by tremor alone.

>  Not until shortly after the test.

If slowing down, (bradykinesia) caused in fact by PD was what
prompted the docter to call for the test in the first place, it is hardly
surprising if other PD symptoms emerge soon afterwards.

> Makes you wonder.

If a significant number of people developed PD after being tested for
a hyperactive thyroid, that would be cause for wonder indeed.  If on
the other hand the majority of cases are people being tested for a
hypoactive thyroid, we are faced with doctors eliminating thyroid
problems as a cause of slowness before eventually correctly diagnosing
PD.  A simple phone call to your doctor should suffice to establish
his/her motive in ordering the test. Perhaps as a first step it would help
establish just which type of thyroid problem applied in each case. The
answer
to that question would go a long way to establishing whether you have
stumbled onto something significant or just an interesting insight into
the diagnostic process.

Dennis.

Dennis Greene 47/10