I (?) seem to be having problems with returned mail....excuse me while I try
again...please let me know if this got posted..I do not have 'repro' (but
will get) and do not wish to overload 'your' mailboxes!  Thx....Roberta
from the March issue of Readers Digest...
"While many new medications for Alzheimer's disease are now being tested,
donepezil hydrochloride (Aricept) recently received approval by the FDA.  The
drug proved to be safe and effective in the clinical trials of patients with
mild to moderately severe disease, and is now available by prescription.
 Like tacrine hydrochloride (Cognex)-the first medication approved for
Alzheimer's-donepezil hydrochloride blocks the breakdown of acetylcholine, a
critical brain chemical associated with memory.  But the new drug appears to
have fewer side effects than tacrine, which can elevate liver enzymes,
requiring regular blood testing.  Still other research focuses on promising
therapies that might delay the onset of the disease.  Recent studies suggest
that non-sterodial anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) such as ibuprofen or the
hormone estrogen might stave off Alzheimer's.  Also under investigation is
vitamin E plus selegiline, an antioxidant that boosts the brain chemical
dopamine, and prednisone, a steroid that may have ab NSAID-like effect."

Roberta
CG for Clyde 64/5+