Ernie,

You wrote about getting information on Sinemet pharmacokinetics. I am
very interested in such information. I would appreciate copy or source
to e-mail or write to to obtain it.

Most of what I know is included in the several sub-pages on my
homepage.  If you are interested, the URL is the bottom line of my
signature. Comments about questionable information or whatever are
welcomed.

<<<Seeking clarification on the "half-life", I was told that the
"exponential
decay rate" referred to the drug once it was in the blood plasma.  From
this, I conclude that standard Sinemet will quickly reach its peak level
and
then follow the exponential half-life decay described.  Sinemet CR will,
however, deliver its designed dosage evenly per hour until exhausted.
At
this point, the half-life decay rate will again come into play for the
drug
remaining in the blood.>>>>>

The metabolic reactions are "decaying" the levodopa. The ones that occur
in the blood do their thing not knowing where or how or when the
levodopa got into the blood. Equilibrium, two-way, reactions depend upon
concentrations of reactants and products. (I believe that Brian Collins
is a bit 'locked' onto flow rate controlling only whereas transport
rates often depend upon concentration - in addition to the reaction rate
dependence.)

The regular may get quickly dissolved (or be pre-dissolved) but be
metabolized in the stomach if too much food or too-long digesting
happens. Also, if no food digesting, the transport into blood may be
minimal also.

The CR lump may not completely dissolve - it may leave in the feces as a
residual. It's surface area decrease is part of the flow-rate
determination. There may also be acidity, bile components, and other
factors in dissolving of the levodopa and carbidopa from the tablet.

--
ron      1936, dz PD 1984  Ridgecrest, California
Ronald F. Vetter <[log in to unmask]>