Our efforts are aimed at getting more research effort into the fight against
Parkinson's Disease as soon as possible, so that we will all benefit from
the results sooner.  When progress is made, it will benefit all of us,
whether gay or straight, black or white, rich or poor, male or female, young
or old.  We all are included.

While I sympathize with the desire of all groups, including the gay
community, to be a visible part of the effort to speed additions to the
research effort - and by visible I include the Oprah show that we have been
discussing - let us not lose sight of OUR objective - fighting Parkinson's.

In particular, Ivan Suzman has a wonderful story to tell.  For what I trust
is the majority of people, those without bias against gays, his story is
appropriate and persuasive.  But if the net effect of his story is to arouse
the intolerant minority opposition against us, then perhaps he would not be
a good showpiece.  We have already seen what a minority can do - look at
what happened to the Udall Bill last year.

I'm not one who can make the call on this - but if Ivan or any other gays
would be excluded as spokespersons, it is because they are first included in
the aims of the Parkinson's community.

Art Hirsch
Lewisville, TX
Home of the Fighting Farmers