Dear Jim.

Whoops - I think I sent that post without finishing it.  Sorry.  Anyway,
according to "Parkinson's Disease - The Complete Guide for Patients and
Caregivers" by Lieberman and Williams, the scale is used to evaluate the
progression of PD thus:

Stage 0 - No visible disease
Stage 1 - Disease involves one side of body
Stage 2 - Disease involves both sides of body but does not impair balance
Stage 3 - Disease impairs balance or walking
Stage 4 - Disease markedly impairs balance or walking
Stage 5 - Disease results in complete immobility

The areas between each stage are vague, and the time each person spends in
each stage before going on to the next varies with the individual, and some
people don't ever progress through the whole scale.

I hope this helps.

Norma