Found this interesting...=20

Doctors' Answers to "Frequently Asked Questions" - Eldepryl
       =20
        These comments are made for the purpose of discussion and
should NOT be used as recommendations for or against therapies or other
treatments. An individual patient is always advised to consult their own
physician.

Eldepryl
Question: Is it possible to stop or reverse the MAO blockers and add
additional neuro-transmitter action to reinstate memory capabilities?

Answer: Mao blockers will generally be "out" of ones system by 24-48 hours.
This is the recommended time prior to surgery. In general, we use about one
week in non-emergent situations to be absolutely sure of no generalized
reactions. Consequently, after one stops a Mao inhibitor, most of the
expected reactions will be gone in several days. I know of no patches for
delivery of eldepryl.

Eldepryl
Question: Could you please send me any information you have on Eldepryl and
the foods to avoid while on this medication. My mother has Parkinson's
Disease and keeps getting conflicting opinions on what foods to eat and what
foods to avoid.

Answer: Eldepryl(selegilene hydrochloride) is a relatively new drug in the
treatment of Parkinson's Disease. Eldepryl is an MAO inhibitor initially
used in depression that has been found to be effective in treating
Parkinson's. The mode of action is not completely nderstood, but seems to
increase dopamine in the brain through its monoamine oxidase effect. MAO
inhibitors can be potentiated by several types of food. Any food containing
tyramine will cause problems. These include chicken liver, pickled herring,
any cheese-aged are the most potent, yogurt, sour cream, beer, wine, canned
figs, bananas, advocados, soy sauce, raisins, chocolate, many decongestants
and weight loss agents, canned figs and broad beans(Fava,etc.). Ingestion of
these substances can cause severe blood pressure excursions, rapid heart
beats, and other side effects.

Eldepryl
Question: I have a female neighbor, about 50. She does NOT suffer from
Parkinsonism. A family friend provided her with a fairly substantial sample
of Eldepryl. She reports with great enthusiasm that Eldepryl has been very
helpful in relieving her symptoms of mild depression and anxiety. Although
Eldepryl apparently has an MAO inhibitor function, reported side effects
strongly suggest it would be conraindicated for bipolar symptoms.

Are there clinical trials in progress on the use of Eldepryl as an
antidepressant?

Answer: While Eldepryl does have an MAO type effect, the studies done in
Parkinson's patients indicate that in the doses approved for Parkinson's
Disease that it does not approach levels in the serum which are required to
treat depression. I know of no ongoing trials concerning using this drug as
an antidepressant. I would contact the company, Somerset Pharmaceuticals,
Inc. for further information.

Eldepry Before Surgery
Question: how long befor surgery should I stop taking eldepryl if
Demerol(meperidine) is to be used as a painkiller?

Answer: Eldepryl(selegiline hydrochloride) is a drug primarily used to
treat Parkinson's Disease. It is a monoamine oxidase-Type B inhibitor. As
such, certain drugs are a problem or a potential problem. These include
serotonin reuptake inhibitor antidepressants, tricyclic antidepressants, and
Demerol (meperidine). The manufacturer recommends a 14 day period between
stopping Eldepryl and these drugs. Whether other opiates such as morphine
cause this problem is less clear; however, most physicians assume that the
interaction is possible.

Send your impressions, comments, thoughts, etc. to [log in to unmask]
=A9 1996 DRUG INFONET, Inc. All rights reserved.
Last modified January 16, 1997