Date: Mon, 17 Feb 1997 18:44:42 -0600
To: [log in to unmask]
From: "E. Jack Savely" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Weak legs, agonists

        Bill:

        Your step-father's problem sounds like my father-in-law.
        He is a 'worrier' type person. Has been all his life. If
        there isn't something ready to be worried about he'll
        manufacture something. Nicest guy in the world but has
        this problem.

        When he began taking an antidepressant the world became
        less worrisome. However, when changed to amitrypteline
        he also complained of weak legs. Sometimes it gets so
        bad he can hardly stand.

        While amitrypteline doesn't report these type of side
        effects in its literature, there must be something in
        some people to cause this situation.

        I doubt that it has anything to do with his Sinemet but
        stranger things have happened in individual cases. My
        FIL doesn't have PD.

        In your mother's case, I find it strange that the Sinemet
        dosage wasn't altered when Permax was introduced. I'm not
        surprised at the nausea and other symptoms. Some people
        have difficulty in tolerating Permax and Parlodel. My wife,
        Jeannette, takes Parlodel and we reduced her Sinemet
        substantially when Parlodel was introduced in 1982. Also,
        she was placed under continuous surveilance when started
        on Parlodel. Fortunately Jeannette didn't have any great
        problems accepting the drug.

        An agonist essentially is designed to help the levodopa
        reach its intended location in greater quantity. I view
        them as road pavers laying asphalt down to allow the
        levodopa car to travel at greater efficiency to a desired
        location. It doesn't bolster the effect but rather allows
        more of the Sinemet to arrive at the brain which will cause
        the need for less levodopa if the agonist does its job
        properly.

        According to my RX info, introduction of Permax or Parlodel
        needs to be watched if the patient is using any medication
        for depression or psychosis.

        I don't envy you your postion in caring for several elderly
        persons with physical problems. It's a heavy load.

        Best wishes.......Jack

E. Jack Savely    [log in to unmask]    Topeka, Kansas
CG - Jeannette 58 - 20              Starliter on Chat
KANSAS - 'THE WHEAT STATE' HOME OF THE SUNFLOWER AND 'TOTO'
Ad Astra per Aspera  -  'To the Stars through Difficulty'

--------------90E7E8D2010--