Arla -

I'm so sorry about your Dad's condition.  It reminds me of my Dad's last months, two years ago, six months after a couple of botched hip replacement surgeries.  It was so awful to be unable to help him at all, and the stress made my mother's PD progress at lightning speed.

Is your Dad, and all your family, getting help from Hospice?  Thinking back, I wish we had contacted them for Dad (and for us); I think we were in denial about his condition then and lost out on what I hear would probably have been very helpful and comforting.  Please get all the support and help you can, and let us know how you are all doing!

As for the Oprah thing, I don't think you need to worry about the folks that are joking about what-to-wear etc.; they are serious people fighting this disease in their own persons, and they are letting off steam and getting some fun where they can find it and will be eloquent spokespeople on Oprah. Several people have pointed out to Stan that it wouldn't be wise to concentrate on "success" stories -- hearing from caring caregivers like you is vital, too, and I'll bet he's been revising/expanding his initial list of suggested guests.  It was my understanding that his original post was a way of starting the ball rolling, and he's open to suggestions.

I agree with your concern about the gay pride issue.  Why here of all places?  This is such a caring group . . . if there are any homophobes among us, they're being mighty discrete about it.

Thanks for reminding us of what's important, take care of yourself and your loved ones, and keep in touch.

Mary Rack
cg for mom 75/6 and well down on the list of stages