Direct Imagination wrote:

> My father is 73, and has had PD for 15 years.  He recently has begun to
> exhibit confusion periodically.  He will ramble and mumble to himself, and is
> sometime confussed about where he is, and what he is doing.  these spells seem
> to come on quite rapidly, and he may go from ludic to confussed in 10
> minutes.  Does any one have any experience with this, and perhaps its
> correlation with meals, types of foods (sweets?), or time from the last
> medication?  Stephen Hubbard [log in to unmask] (213) 217-7764.  Thanks.

Stephen,

My dad, about the same age and length of time with PD also does that.
Some of it seems to relate to his meds, but my mother says chocolate is
really a culprit, so now she limits the amount and frequency closely.

He also hallucinated badly, so started Clozaril which helps.  He still
gets confused and I wonder how much is hardening of the arteries and how
much is PD related.  My mom also finds that if he is constipated he is
worse physically and mentally which makes some sense in terms of
absorption of meds.
--
Gail B. Post, RN,MS,CSN
Maryknoll Schools