Subject:  The Udall bill and the Balanced Budget Amendment

Years ago we knew a gentlemen who belonged to a local social-
service organization and was the publicity chair.  When he opened
a newspaper, or heard a news report, he would invariably say,
"hmmm, now how does this effect ..(name of organization)?" and we
would chuckle.  We're reminded of him now.  Happenings that may
not seem to directly relate to PD research may in fact do just
that.

We haven't been having an easy time getting the Udall bill and
it's $100 million appropriation passed.  (Is this an
understatement or what?)  The bill presented to the 105th
Congress will probably contain wording similar to the bill
presented to the 104th, which stated, (page 9, line 7) "(g)
Authorization of Appropriations.- "(1) In General - For the
purpose of carrying out this section, there are authorized to be
appropriated $100,000,000 for fiscal year 1996, and such sums as
may be necessary for each of the fiscal years 1997 through 2000."

In other words, even if the Udall bill is passed this year, we're
going to have to remain at the barricades now and yearly
thereafter, to ensure the coming year's funding, and continually
justify "such sums as may by necessary." We believe that passage
of a balanced budget amendment will make the issue of funding for
PD research more difficult since it is not one of the more
popular diseases, and that a balanced budget amendment could
conceivably be used as an excuse by those who oppose the Udall
bill to lobby against future funding.

If you agree, please contact your legislators ASAP and ask them
to vote AGAINST the balanced budget amendment.  Senator
Torricelli of NJ is said to have not made a decision yet, but all
legislators should be contacted.  The vote will take place this
week.