Subject:  UDALL BILL

It seems to us that legislators are not always likely to respond
to appeals from people who are not their constituents so...

The Office of Representative Steven R. Rothman, (newly elected)
9th District, NJ, has put together a 4-paragraph response to a
request for support of the Udall bill.  We don't doubt that he's
well meaning but he appears to be totally uninformed about PD and
that's our fault.  His letter is certainly non-committal.  Are
there any voters in his district reading this who can send
educational materials, eg, the PAN package, to him, and follow
up?.

We're not in her District but wrote anyway, and haven't had a
response to a letter sent to Representative Marge Roukema of the
5th District in NJ.  Several years ago her Party leadership
adamantly opposed legislation which when passed and signed by
President Clinton, after an 8-year battle, became known as The
Family and Medical Leave Act of 1993.  Although she did not favor
the bill early on, once being convinced of its merits she was
tenacious and a lone minority of one in her party fighting for
passage of the bill.  She did not vote for or against the Udall
bill in the 104th and we think that if she knew more about it she
would support it.  in addition to educational materials, contacts
with her particularly by younger PD people, (who are not
generally known to be susceptible to PD) would help to influence
her favorably.  This in turn might encourage her to help
influence other social issue moderates in the House who have not
taken a position on the Udall bill.  Anyone?

We spoke to Joe Fiordaliso of Senator Torricelli's office.  They
haven't chosen a health issues aide yet; the senator has not seen
a copy of the Udall bill which will be introduced in the 105th
(because the final draft has not been completed) and so even
though he co-sponsored last year, we don't know his position this
year.   Keep those calls and letters going.

Having the ability and the means to communicate with each other
in this manner is mind boggling to those of us who are new at it.
Can we, in addition to continuing to do this, agree that each and
every one of us will try, via the dissemination of information,
and personal contact, to communicate with those outside of the
Parkinson community, in organizations, the media, etc., at least
one contact a day, until the Udall bill has been voted on?

2-24-97