This is my first post so I guess i should introduce myself. My name is Susan.
I live iin upstate New York. My dad, 73, was diagnosed with PD about 12 years
ago and until a few months ago was doing rather well. He was diagnosed with
prostate cancer last August and had to undergo radiation treatments and then
radioactive seed transplants. His PD did seem to get worse after the seed
transplants, but the worst was the depression. He was in such a bad funk that
he had to be hospitalized this last month. He was feeling so hopeless and
became suicidal.
While he was in the hospital they gave him 100mg. of wellbutron 2xs daily and
his parkinson's symptoms got much worse. I suggested to the psychiatrist that
this drug might not be the right one for my dad, but she insisted I didn't
know what I was talking about.
I went with my dad to the nuerologiist today and he said there was nothing
wrong with wellbutron, but get him off it . (He had told the psychiatrist
that it was a good drug for PD patients) I suggested trying tofronil and he
agreed. He also took him off of selegeline.  I feel so helpless. I don't
trust this neurologist and I wonder how Drs. decide on medication. i read
that PD patiients should not take wellbutron. Does anyone know about this?
Sincerely

Susan