I would like to comment on something Judith Richards sent to the List.
There is one point which needs clearing up.

>Doctors' Answers to "Frequently Asked Questions" - Eldepryl
>
>        These comments are made for the purpose of discussion and
>should NOT be used as recommendations for or against therapies or other
>treatments. An individual patient is always advised to consult their own
>physician.

>Eldepryl
>Question: Could you please send me any information you have on Eldepryl and
>the foods to avoid while on this medication. My mother has Parkinson's
>Disease and keeps getting conflicting opinions on what foods to eat and wha=
>foods to avoid.
>
>Answer: Eldepryl(selegilene hydrochloride) is a relatively new drug in the
>treatment of Parkinson's Disease. Eldepryl is an MAO inhibitor initially
>used in depression that has been found to be effective in treating
>Parkinson's. The mode of action is not completely nderstood, but seems to
>increase dopamine in the brain through its monoamine oxidase effect. MAO
>inhibitors can be potentiated by several types of food. Any food containing
>tyramine will cause problems. These include chicken liver, pickled herring,
>any cheese-aged are the most potent, yogurt, sour cream, beer, wine, canned
>figs, bananas, advocados, soy sauce, raisins, chocolate, many decongestants
>and weight loss agents, canned figs and broad beans(Fava,etc.). Ingestion o=
>these substances can cause severe blood pressure excursions, rapid heart
>beats, and other side effects.

I dont think this information is quite correct: I believe that the
following should explain:

IT SHOULD BE MADE CLEAR THAT THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF MAO INHIBITORS --TYPE A
AND TYPE B.  ELDEPRYL IS TYPE B.

UNLIKE MAO-A INHIBITORS, ONE OF THE GOOD THINGS ABOUT ELDEPRYL IS THAT, IN
THE DOSES USED TO TREAT PD (THAT IS UP TO 10 MG DAILY, OR LESS) THERE IS
CONSIDERED TO BE NO DANGER WITH THE FOODS LISTED ABOVE (THIS IS KNOWN AS
THE "CHEESE EFFECT".)

HAVING SAID THAT, I AM OF THE OPINION, SINCE WE ARE ALL DIFFERENT WEIGHTS
AND HAVE DIFFERENT TOLERANCE LEVELS to drugs, WHAT IS CONSIDERED A USUAL
DOSE FOR SOME MAY NOT WORK FOR OTHERS, AND THERE MAY BE TIMES WHEN, IF YOU
=46OR SOME REASON PIG OUT ON A LOT OF AGED CHEESE OR RED WINE, YOU MAY
EXPERIENCE SOME SYMPTOMS...

IN OTHER WORDS, ONE SHOULD BE CAREFUL.  WE DON'T KNOW IF THERE IS A BUILD
UP OR A TENDENCY OVER TIME FOR MAO-B'S TO SUDDENLY WORK LIKE MAO-A'S.

I seem to remember reports of adverse reaction (high blood pressure and
nose bleed?) from Eldepryl.

HAVE ANY STUDIES BEEN DONE ON THE LONG TERM EFFECT OF SELEGILINE IN THIS REG=
ARD?