Stan,

The whole thing went totally out of control after I unpurposely posted a
message entitled "Pas de message ce soir" on the English-speaking list. Within
24 hours, a lot of answers in French came up from all over the place ! I am
really sorry, and the least I can do is translate my post into English ...

No message tonight

I wasted the whole day : everything went wrong. Sometimes, I regret I have not
stayed in bed all day.

For once, I had no obligation, no appointment, no commitment. Nothing to do.

It is very difficult to enjoy doing nothing : it is rejected by all
philosophies, all modern mentalities, pointing at you as guilty, lazy,
useless, strange, wrong. In some places, it is permitted : travelling by
train, for example. Many hours ahead, no stress, you just watch the outside
world rushing backwards, beaten by electricity posts. You dream, ignoring the
chat you could have started with the person next to you, or the book you could
have read. You do nothing. I love it !

It is my computer's fault. I was looking forward to installing a new piece of
software, more powerful and user-friendly ; I did not worry too much,
forgetting the hundreds, if not the thousands of hours I had already spent
trying to make a new tool work, then trying to fix the damage I had caused.
Gradually, forced to re-install full layers of software, crawling backwards,
initiating more than solving problems, calling in distress an exhausted and
little concerned hot-line, unable to think of something else, going out for
bread ...

During such moments, one realizes how important is this small telephone line
running out of home to anywhere you want, placing your friends only a click
away. How fascinating are these people you have never met, yet so close !

Well, sorry ! No message tonight.

Bernard JOLY