         David Boots <[log in to unmask]> said in part...
> When nepotism ("He ain't shifty, he's my brother") and the endorsement of
> off-topic chit-chat was condoned by the Listmaster, I knew that my belief
> in the purpose of the PD-List had finally died. The stories of so many
> closet-writers (such as myself) trying to cope with their own PD-hell are
> overshadowed by the repeated non-humorous postings of a small-minded group
> of people who "thumb their nose" at the requests to "please stop this"
> posts from dozens of the people on the List.

David,
I am sorry you feel  that way, you will be missed. on the list!

I must confess that I don't understand your reference to
'nepotism' (which I would describe as unwonted family preferment)  on
the list.    I do however, understand what  you mean by "off-topic"
chit-chat.

The trouble is though, that we would almost certainly
disagree about what this really means.  to coin a phrase, your 'off'
might well be my 'on'.   Given this kind of uncertainty, I guess
Barbara has done the right  thing in letting list members themselves
decide what is funny, what is not, what is relevant and so on.  I
think the important thing is that we (parkies and their carers) are a
community of people with an affliction that takes a lot of adjusting
to and that calls for extraordinary perception to be comprehended by
those outside our 'charmed' circle.

Because we all meet people who do not have this ability, some of us
need the list  to blow off steam about life, the universe
and everything.  Others use it as a sort of surrogate knowledgeable
companion to ask questions and garner knowledge from.  Still others
obviously enjoy helping their fellows  by pouring forth a veritable
cornucopia of PD-related information; not all of which will be
relevant to everyone.

Most of all though I would guess that we find the list a
place where we can amongst friends and lighten our load a  little.

You apparently don't see the list in quite this way;  we are all the
poorer for it.

Regards,
M.
(CG for Margaret: 65/27 yrs)
Trains stop at train stations, busses at bus stations.
On my desk I have a Workstation...
Mark Atyeo  Tele (06) 286 2606