(26 Feb 1997)

Maureen, current estimates are rough because of variable diagnostic
accuracy, and lack of a national registry program; but you could
say there are about 1 million in the U.S. diagnosed with PD. If you
assume average survival optimistically as 20 yr, that works out to
about 50,000 new diagnoses a year.
The Merck Manual mentions PD as the fourth most common neurological
disorder of the elderly, the others in order being stroke, seizures,
and dementia.
Cheers,
Joe

J. R. Bruman (818) 789-3694