Ok folks.  I guess I didn't clearly state exactly WHICH drug gave us the most recent wild ride.

Dad was stable on Sinemet (3x day, but not sure of dosage at each time... proximity to food unimportant, too, for this discussion) before the most recent change that I was describing.

The reason that it was decided that he should start the Zyprexa was a bit of confusion / paranoia.  Yes, we know that those are side effects of too much Sinemet, but we also know what Sinement overdose really looks like.  "Been there, done that."

I attempted to report on the single 5 mg Zyprexa tablet, and the havoc it wreaked.  The primary point I was stating was simply "it only took one tablet".  The folks at the nursing home, his neurologist and his rehab doctor are all still puzzling that one.  Mom's not surprised.  She's seen how seemingly minuscule drug changes can result in huge reactions.

Furthermore, as cruel and as uncharitable as it may seem, neither Mom nor I are particularly distressed about this recent reaction.  For Mom, it's actually kind of a relief.... someone else is seeing what she handled for the past year (before NH).  For me, just hearing the relief in Mom's voice. .. . and knowing that Dad's comfortable and being taken care of makes everything easier.  Don't get me wrong... I don't LIKE seeing Dad struggle and having more problems than he was before that one little tablet.  It's just that everything's under control right now, and I know that neither Dad nor Mom will get hurt. (I lived in fear for a year Dad would stiffen and fall; Mom would try to keep him from falling -- Dad's 6 feet, 3 inches tall.  Mom's only 5 feet, 3 inches tall.  I could easily envision them both in a heap on the floor.)

Anyway.... the moral of my whole saga is "only" one pill can make a tremendous difference.

Diane McHutchison

long distance cg for Dad - (69/7+)